Sunday, May 4, 2008

Race Day

One of my favorite hobbies over the last 4 years has been autocrossing my 1994 Mazda Miata in the Detroit region. Autocrossing is an amateur form of car racing that normally takes place in a confined parking lot. A race course is defined using cones and competitors have 4 to 5 runs to achieve their fastest time through the course without knocking over any of the cones. Cars race through the course one at a time, so there is very little risk of injury to competitors or damage to the vehicles.

Every season my car club holds an autocross school so we can dust off our cars and sharpen our driving skills. Landon and Morgan have been too small up till now to ride in the car with me, but this year I thought it would be fun to bring them along. Safety is the highest priority in well-managed autocross events. Helmets are required for all drivers and passengers on the course. Fortunately one of the members of our club had a helmet that fit the twins (thanks again Ines).

 


 


I went over basics like air pressure and suspension settings with Landon. Here Landon is suggesting that I set the rear tire pressure even higher ;).

 


Someday I hope to teach Landon and Morgan how to drive a car like mine at the limit, but for now riding along will have to do. I started off at about 70% with Landon, but the first thing he said after the initial run was "Go Faster Daddy!." By the time we finished I was driving as fast as I could and the kids just loved it.

 


 


 


We all had a great time. Thanks to the club for organizing the event.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hHi Deb and Nate,

Thank you for sending the beautiful pictures and updating your blog. We pray that all goes well this week when you are in the hospital for a new treatment. I am glad that you have enjoyed the last weeks with your family, Nate, and that you were feeling well. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Love, Marge